adv

Sunday 31 March 2013

While courting, my wife wrote me every day from the UK



Arch-Bishop Kehinde Stephen is the Arch-bishop of the Methodist Church Nigeria, Ibadan Arch-Diocese  and the chairman of the Christian Council of Nigeria, South West region. In this no-holds-barred interview with Rotimi Ige, he talks about his early years, life as a man of God, marital life and fashion sense, among other issues.

Background?
My Father was an evangelist and a medical dresser and we migrated from the Mid Western part of Nigeria, precisely from Edo State to the South West in Ilesha, where he came under the influence of missionaries and became converted and took up the name Stephen. He worked all his life with the Methodist Church of Nigeria and joined the missionaries in establishing outposts, building and creating churches in many parts of Kwara State. He lived there, attending to the needs of the people by way of looking after their tropical soils and he was a gifted person who spoke about seven local languages. He was very much loved by the people and most people who didn’t know his name, called him ‘happy man’ because he was always cheerful. I grew up in that kind of background and because of the missionary work, most of us, his children, were born outside Edo State and by that, for me, not by choice, made us to become completely detribalized. So, for me today, I don’t miss not belonging to my native tribe because I don’t just know how it feels like.
That is why I find it hard to believe that we still ask question like State of Origin, Local Government on our forms and if we truly believe that we are Nigerians, all those questions should disappear and  there shouldn’t be question of indigene acceptance because if you stay long in any state, that state can be adopted as your own state. You should be allowed to live and work there and enjoy all things the local people enjoy because you had contributed to their development in a way.

Education
I went to  Primary school in Kwara State, my secondary school in Benue State and my seminary training in Oyo State. I returned to Kwara State in Borgu in 1972 and I worked there briefly. I worked at Wesley Guild hospital, Ilesha . 

I left for the United States after a while and returned in 1981. Upon my return, I began teaching at the Theological Institute which is the Seminary for the Methodist Church in Sagamu. I stayed there for 10 years and worked as Registrar, Principal and Lecturer for the School until I was appointed as the Bishop of Remo in 1993. I was the first Bishop of Remo  for five years before I was appointed the Secretary of the Conference for Methodist Church of Nigeria and served there for ten years before coming to Ibadan as Arch Bishop in December  2006. This would be my seventh year as Archbishop of Ibadan.

How has the experience of being a bishop for over two decades been?
I think it is the most enriching experience that I have had in my sojourn in the church and the most rewarding experience. I don’t think I would have had the opportunity to learn if I had not come into the ministry.  I have not only served in Nigeria but beyond, in Atlanta, Georgia. I thank God that I am still doing what I planned to do for God. The most fascinating thing is the way you meet and interact with people. It makes your life richer and sometimes we do not know the value of relationships. If you serve in my kind of position, you will know that it is an amazing gift of God. I also served on the central committee,  World  Council of Churches from 1997 to 2006 as one of the executives and lately, I am currently the moderator  of a continuation committee on evangelism of the World  Council of Churches which is about three hundred and forty seven (347) communions round the world that belong to the World Church.  I am also one of the Presidents of the World Methodist Church Council and that is also a great challenge to serve at the Methodist Church Worldwide and it has been a pleasure to work with other people at that particular level and to see what contribution to make not only to Methodist Communion around the world but also how we would impact the global community as well. There has been a lot of exposure, I was invited and received by President Bill Clinton in 2000 (Tribune).

No comments:

Post a Comment