adv

Monday 1 April 2013

I Get Inspired While Taking My Bath – Nanna


Nanna
Nanna Daniya Yakubu is an upcoming star in the Hausa music industry. She has over 80 songs to her credit. In this interview with Kehinde Ajobiewe and Chibunma Ukwu, she spoke of the challenges in the industry and how Kannywood could be taken to greater heights.


When did you start music?
I started music two years ago.
  Before this time actually, I have been singing but for my pleasure alone. It was not till two years back that I started music as a career.

Have you been encountering challenges?
Indeed, there have been challenges. You meet people who are harsh, this could be demoralising but you just have to know how to handle and follow people when working with them or for them. Another challenge is seen in cases when you do jobs for people and they hold back your payment.

Again, this is not encouraging. Everyone knows that finance is a key factor in business and in a situation where money is owed, it is really a challenge. However, I am grateful to my director. His counsel and encouragement have kept me going.

We are getting used to the challenges, it might put you down sometimes but knowing where you are going and being determined about it helps me to always pick up.

How did you get started?
There was a day I went for a film audition. I have a friend who has been urging me to go with her to an auditioning, although I was not really interested but I later consented to go for the film auditioning with her. Actually, I did not know that God was planning something big for me.

It was at the film auditioning that I met with my director, who saw my talents and took interest in me. As a matter of fact, he is the one that encouraged me to go into music more than acting and that was how the journey started for me. He has been there to counsel and direct me ever since.

How has the experience been for you?
I thank God who leads a person in everything he or she is doing in life. Music has made me popular. It has got me so much exposed. I grant interviews on the media, sometimes, I get calls from people I do not know who want me to do songs for them for one event or the other. For this, I appreciate God.

What kind of music do you do?
What I sing depends on the occasion where I am performing. I sing during title giving ceremonies, wedding occasions, and I perform for all sorts of people including Governors. So it depends on the occasion on ground.

How many albums have you produced?
I have lost count but it is up to 80 if not more.

How do you get your listeners/ customers?
Well, some of the people who patronise me are people that listened to my music at one occasion or the other, and who like and appreciate the music.

How do your songs come by?
My songs come naturally. But in most cases, my director writes the songs while tune is given to it afterwards. But in most cases where the songs come to me, I am careful to put it down in writing so as not to forget what I got.

These songs are inspirational you know so most times, if you are not careful to put it down in writing, you may tend to forget what you received, so having understood that this is the manner it works, when I get a song, I am careful with it and when it is written for me by my director, we are also careful to go about it the right way too.

You said your songs are inspirational, how do you get inspired?
My inspiration comes from God and from nature. It comes anywhere and at anytime. Sometimes, I might be eating or doing one thing or the other and it comes. Often times, I would be walking on the road and it comes. So it is something that comes by itself anytime. What I do is just to recognise it when it comes and give it the necessary attention.

When does this inspiration come more?
Usually, it comes more when I am taking my bath. As funny as it might sound, it is true. I do not understand it myself why it is this way but I realise I get inspired more when taking my bath. Even in songs I might be having a problem assigning a tune to, I could be taking my bath and it would enter into my mind that this song can actually be this way or it can sound better if it goes with a tune as this.

There are other times when I could get inspired when talking with friends. But there are times when music comes to me depending on my mood. It could be when I am happy or sad. I mentioned earlier that some people owe me after doing songs for them. There are times when I will be reminiscing on the memory and it will turn into songs.

What do you consider special about your music?
What makes it special is the message it carries to people. My music carries messages that people understand and appreciate. They feel at home with the song and I will not forget to add that the voice is important in singing. People also appreciate melodious voice singing for them.

Who do you owe your success to?
It is God. He helped me to start off, he brought me to where I am so far and I know that he is still taking me on. Sometimes, I am amazed at how popular I have become and wonder if it is really me… but in all, I see the hand of God through it all.

How do you see Hausa music?
Hausa music has come a long way from when it first started. Hausa music of today cannot be compared with English songs as they relate better to their people than English music.
Simply put, I will say that it is sweet to hear and is understandable too, as the messages are meant to educate and entertain the people, irrespective of their cadre.

Where do you see yourself in the next two years?
I see God blessing and lifting me more in the next two years. As a matter of fact, I must have gone international as we Hausa artist presently aim to develop ourselves more.


Culled from leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment