adv

Saturday 31 August 2013

Nwabueze Urged Jonathan To Drop 2015 Ambition


On Thursday, the Patriots, a group of eminent Nigerians led by Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Prof. Ben Nwabueze met with president Goodluck Jonathan behind the closed doors on the state of nation in his office, Abuja.


24naijanews.com gathered that in the meeting a 13-page memorandum covering issues was presented to the president by the patriot’s leader that took over from the former leader of the group, late chief Rotimi Williams.

Prof. Ben Nwabueze told State House correspondents after the meeting that president Jonathan must shun the urge to seek re-election in 2015 and concentrate on his transformation agenda.

He added that Jonathan is eligible to contest in 2015 but he should summon enough courage not to contents which can make him to become instant national hero.

Prof. Ben Nwabueze said, “That is not the purpose of our meeting today (Thursday), but that is my view and I still maintain that view. I still believe that the problem of this country is national transformation;that you cannot combine national transformation with contesting election.

“The two are so different because once you get involved in electioneering, you undermine your authority to lead the nation for national transformation and I said if I were the President,  I would restrict myself  to serving the nation,   transforming this country and  creating a new Nigeria.   These would be my concern and I would go down in history as a hero.

“So, if Mr. President does that, he would become an instant hero in this country; but it is for him to choose. If I were him, I would choose to become a hero to lead the country into transformation and abandon the ambition of a second term. That is what I said and I still stand by it and that is what I would do if I were the President of this country, but unfortunately, I’m not.”

Hmmm! I think it’s just advice. And you can do two things with advice; accept or leave it. But, do you think Jonathan will become national hero if he drops 2015 ambition?

No comments:

Post a Comment