adv

Sunday 12 May 2013

President Jonathan Not A Bad Man But ... —Chimamanda


Chimamanda
Celebrated writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was in town recently to present her third novel, ‘Americanah’. The literati seized the opportunity to engage her on a number of issues.

IT was another opportunity for the literati in Lagos to interact with writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on Saturday, April 27 at Terra Kulture, Victoria Island during the Nigerian presentation of her third novel, ‘Americanah’. 


There is never a dull moment with the 35-year-old writer who doesn’t shy away from speaking her mind and so it was on the evening as she conversed with poet Tolu Ogunlesi after reading an excerpt from the work. She impressed with her candour and the setting was not unlike royalty holding court. Chimamanda was the queen and the audience her willing subjects. It was on the whole, a mutually rewarding evening for all concerned.

“I’m really happy to be here, thank you for being here. The readership that matters most to me is the Nigerian reader and I’m grateful you are here.

‘Americanah’ is about many things; those who live in the US and then move back home. I am blessed to be published globally,” Chimamanda said by way of introduction.

Ogunlesi started by taking her up on her seeming obsession with returnees from the West. He noted that the theme was also explored in an edition of ‘Farafina’ she guest edited. “I won’t call it obsession,” the writer said, adding that she had materials from going to study in the US. She explained that a lot of Nigerians want to go to abroad and recalled how during the Abacha years, church services were  held for people interested in getting visas to Western countries. Holy hands, she further noted, were laid on visas.

On Ogunlesi’s question about whether going abroad changes people, Chimamanda said that “people handle leaving home differently. They have to conform to the new environment they find themselves. There is also a metaphysical loss because you are dislocated. People really change and I wanted to write about that. In the book, not all the characters change in negative ways, some of the changes was complex.”

She also disclosed that she gathers materials for her works from happenings around her but that that doesn’t stop her from living life to the full. “I’m a participant but I take a step back to observe.”

One thing the award winning writer doesn’t seem to stop talking about is the issue of black hair and using extensions. “Where do you stand on the issue of black hair,” a member of the audience asked the writer. The writer who wears her hair in a natural way said, “I’m not a fan of Brazilian hair; I don’t find them attractive.”
On if she deliberately set out to make ‘Americanah’ an intellectual novel, Chimamanda said: “It’s not that I sat down and said I want to write a book of ideas.” She then added of her decision to abandon subtlety in the work. “It was a conscious decision. I am no longer going to be a beautiful daughter of creative fiction. I decided not to be subtle according to the canons.”

Reacting to the materialistic nature of all the women in the book except Ifemelu, the main protagonist, the US-based writer was unapologetic about her decision. “I write realistic fiction. It’s a society in which we teach girls to aspire to marry. The book is based on real people and besides, I’m drawn to stories about women. Ours is a very materialistic society and it’s sad that most people don’t have access to jobs that pay living changes,” she said.

Like Heraclitus the dynamist who said you cannot step into the same river twice, Chimamanda also believes in change, especially when it comes to the issue of gender. “I believe in change. Things can be made and remade. I believe that we can change things. Gender affects women in a terrible way all over the world. I’m a change agent. I’m angry about gender; there is so much I want to change but I’m not pessimistic about it.”
She said a definite yes to if technology has changed the exile experience for those who go abroad. “I think it absolutely has. Facebook and mobile phones have changed things drastically.”

Asked by Ebuka Uchendu if she can write and speak Igbo, the writer said writing or speaking in Igbo is not the most important thing but addressing the rot in our education system. She noted that a number of middle class families see Igbo as inferior and won’t allow their children to speak it. She recalled that back in primary school, people were sanctioned for speaking in the ‘vernacular’. “I can speak and write in Igbo. Can you,” she posed back to Ebuka.

Asked what she will tell President Goodluck Jonathan if she meets him, Chimamanda pulled no punches. “Surround yourself with people who don’t want your jobs. They are sycophants; surround yourself with truth tellers.  He’s not a bad man but he has no clue. He will stand up, give a terrible speech and people clap for him. There is no culture of self criticism. He should get those who don’t want the jobs.”

She told a member of the audience who asked who she writes for: “I write for people who like the fiction that I like. I hope to connect with people who like what I read. I don’t think about my audience; I just write. I just want to write a story that is truthful to myself.”

Attending courses in creative writing is now the norm among aspiring writers but Chimamanda holds that it is not absolutely necessary even if she attended one and has been facilitating the Farafina Creative Writing workshop here in Nigeria for some years. “Creative writing workshops can be useful but they are not necessary. What it does is to teach you how to read as a writer, not really teach you how to write. They can be prescriptive sometimes,” she said explaining that she spent the time she used for her masters’ course  in creative writing reading works by other writers in the library.

The event, attended by Chimamanda’s parents and other relatives, eventually closed with a book signing session. It was a long line of people that patiently waited for the author to autograph their copies.



No comments:

Post a Comment