adv

Sunday 23 June 2013

New businesses grow faster on relationship than profit — Opaleye



Director, Teeflourish Concepts, Mr. Paul Opaleye

The Director, Teeflourish Concepts, Mr. Paul Opaleye, says a large number of big companies started in a small way and advises unemployed graduates to draw a lesson from this. He spoke with MOTUNRAYO JOEL

How did you get into the business environment?
After my graduation, I had worked briefly in some establishments as a teacher, business development officer, insurance broker and business manager. And I realised there’s nothing like being self-employed and managing one’s business, growing it into a big company. After all, the big businessmen we hear about today also started from the scratch. And the Bible says we shouldn’t despise little beginning.


I was prompted to start my own business when I discovered that I was working like an elephant and eating like an ant. There were occasions I had to go from Ayobo to Obalende in Lagos every day. I would leave home as early as 5am and I got back home around 12 midnight. Apart from the stress, my pay was meager. I was earning just N40,000. After removing my tithe, I’d be left with N36,000. And over N16,000 of that would go into transportation. The remaining N20,000 would be shared between my siblings and myself with other financial obligations that needed attention. I discovered that working for someone and earning little was in most cases a waste one’s destiny.

A large percentage of people in Lagos are working in companies that do not give them joy because the salaries are not commensurate with their qualifications. In my opinion, some employers use, dump workers and employ fresh blood after draining life out of you. A female friend of mine shared her experience at her place of work with me last week. She said that her boss employed only ladies to work as business development managers. If any of them refused to go to bed with his male client, he would sack that worker. When it was her turn to bring in a business worth N25m, the client wanted her to sleep with him first, but she did not agree and then the man went ahead to report to her boss. At the next board meeting, the boss was furious and insisted that employees must do everything to win contracts for his company. And my friend was forced to resign. Now, the question is: would this employer have advised his own daughter to go to bed with a male client to help develop her employer’s business? In the same vein, most of these people we work for are so egocentric that they are only concerned about profit maximisation and nothing about the welfare of their employees. Once they sack you, you return to zero level. So, why will one continue to enslave oneself for nothing? Most of the business owners out there have forgotten that the way they treat their workers will affect the growth of their businesses.

How long have you been running your business? 
It’s almost three years now. I started the business.

Did you study business-related course in the university?
Not really; I studied Social Study Education as first degree at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; and later Public Administration at the University of Ilorin.

How do you manage your business?
Initially, I started my business alone. I had to personally market my services to people, which was very tasking. I also made flyers and engaged in other modes of publicity such as newspaper adverts, Facebook and radio adverts. As my business grew, I engaged more hands. I make sure I create time for my clients. I also go an extra mile to attend to their complaints within the confines of their comfort zones.  Some of them opt to come to my venue.

Who are your clients? 
My target clients are adults who could not complete their academic programme when they were much younger. I also attend to those who completed their education but need to develop their reading, writing and spoken English skills. My business is also to attend to clients who need to sit for external examinations conducted by the West African Examinations Council, National Examinations Council and Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.

Do you run any other business? 
I have a laundry and dry-cleaning outlet, which is flourishing gradually. I saw this business in a revelation and I must say God has been faithful. I started this one from my house. I would wash clothes manually but with persistence and diligence, the business is growing into a big thing now.

What major problem do you encounter in the business?
At times, there are weeks I won’t have clients. It is really tough during such period because I would still have to pay the salary of my workers.  Another challenge I face is when people beg me to allow them register for a special coaching or lesson with the intention of paying later. Some of them eventually pay later while some abscond when they are through with my service.

Are there days you run out of cash? 
No, I don’t get broke like before. I also have time now for many other things, even to serve God who strengthens my hands to make wealth.

What do you do to have an edge over competitors? 
I make my price moderate and I focus on marketing strategies that are humanitarian enough to bring in more clients. I try not to compare myself with others. I believe my business is unique in its own way.

Do you woo clients with low prices all the time? 
When the need arises, I do. This is something most business owners can’t avoid. There are times you just have to take your eyes off profit and focus on building relationships.

Do you need a large amount of money to start this type of business?  
The capital needed to start an educational outfit is huge but it also depends largely on the dream you have. But there is big money in education business. What I make in a month is more than the salaries of five bankers put together and I’m not exaggerating. The scope of this business is very wide. Many people who have renowned schools today started this way.

What are your three key investment principles? 
They are God first; diligence and commitment.

How easy has it been for you getting loans, considering the high interest rate?
It is tough and that is the truth; but my cooperative society has been helpful. People do say that it’s not good to borrow money but most of the big businesses out there started off with loans and are now doing well.  For example, Alhaji Aliko Dangote was said to have started his business with a small loan; but see how much he has made today. My advice is that one should know what one is doing and be prudent with one’s spending, even when profits are made. Profit should be ploughed back into the business to make it grow bigger.

Jobless graduates should try and develop their potential. They should stop wasting their time looking for jobs in companies where they would be used and dumped at the end of the day. Statistics that were released in May this year indicated that 42 million Nigerians are jobless, but I want to say that this will not be so if people try to be self-employed. Talents can be developed and ideas can be nurtured to reality. A large percentage of unemployed graduates are not ready to start small in business. And that mentality is killing them.


No comments:

Post a Comment