adv

Sunday 19 May 2013

Money, Not My Motivation –Iya Awero


AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Iya Awero
On June 2, friends and families would gather at the Blue Roof, LTV 8, Lagos to celebrate with Olanrewaju Hassan as she marks her 50th year on stage. In this interview with DOYIN ADEOYE, Iya Awero, as she is fondly called, shares her style, secret of success and her memories, among other things.


Background
I am Olanrewaju Hassan Adeshina, popularly known as Iya Awero. I am a Lagosian and I am from a polygamous home. My mother was from the Bankole Shonibare family in Lagos, while my grandmother was from the Kosoko family, so in a way, myself and Jide Kosoko are related.

Passion for theatre
I started acting in 1963, when I was in school. Back then, we would organise end of the year shows and that was when I developed the passion for theater. So in 1964, I joined a group with the likes of Ojo Ladipo, known as Baba Mero and Iya Mero then, it was called Young Stars Concert Party. But in 1966, to formalise the affairs of the group, we voted Ojo Ladipo as the leader and the name was then changed to Ojo Ladipo Theater Group.

My travelling theater experience
We started with stage performances, moving from one town to another, but it was later that films in celluloid were introduced. I had the opportunity of working with the late Chief Hubert Ogunde and I featured in all his movies, except for Aiye and Mr Johnson. I featured in the likes of Jaiyesinmi, Aropin ni Teniyan and others. I was also once a customier.
After my secondary school education, I proceeded to a school of drama, so as to have an edge in the industry. That was to enable me to feature both in Yoruba and English productions.
With a certificate from the school, one could easily gain admission into the university. My guardian wouldn’t have allowed me, but for Wole Soyinka, because he was the one that signed on my behalf and that influenced my guardian’s decision to allow me proceed to the school.

How I got the name, Awero
I featured in a movie titled Efunsetan Aniwura in 1973 and I remember we staged the play for Oluyole Club back then. I played the role of Awero in the movie and since then, the name has become my alias. But because there is respect in the Yoruba culture, some people would add ‘Iya’ to it, hence, the name Iya Awero.

My Dear Mother experience
I started with Dear Mother about 12 years ago and I’ve been with the director, Mrs Ariyike Oladipo since then. The reception has been good and I am happy that many viewers appreciate it. Dear Mother is a soap that reaches out to mothers on how children could be properly raised. It teaches mothers how to strike a balance between doing what they feel is right for their children and what the children really want.

Movie productions
After the death of my late director, we formed the group Awada Kerikeri Organisation (AKO), which had the likes of Adebayo Salami a.k.a. Oga Bello and Sunday Omobolanle a.k.a. Aluwe. We produced more of comedy then, such as Ogun Ajaye, Omo Orukan, Ere Okan and others, but all in celluloid.
But with the advent of film making, we decided to convert our stage plays into films and that gave way to the likes of Asewo to re Mecca, Rich man dey mess, Ilu le and others becoming home videos. Personally, I’ve also produced Ayo okan, Omorewa, Sure fun mi baba and Igboran. And I’ve featured in soaps such as Dear Mother, Tinsel and Super Story, among others.

Religion
I am a Muslim, but I was brought up in a Christian home. Eventually I married a Muslim and that was how I came back into the religion of Islam.

Fulfillment in theatre industry
I consider myself fulfilled on the job, because it has been a source of blessing to me and moreover, it’s all I know. I live theater and I will die acting. This is something I’ve been doing for the past 50 years and that shows how much it makes me happy.

How I survived 50 years in theatre industry
Initially when I started, it was not about the stipends, because we were not even paid that much, but theatre for me has always been about passion. The money we earned then was put back into the career, either to fix the drums or buy new costumes, but yet it was joy for us.

Unfortunately, many people these days are more interested in the money they would earn. The secret to my success is grace. I believe if one could stay hardworking and prayerful, then you can achieve a lot. I thank God for being there for me over the years, because being able to stay relevant in the industry over those years takes God’s grace and I quite appreciate Allah for that.

Many people nowadays are after money, forgetting that money shouldn’t supersede one’s work. My belief is that never you run after money. When you work hard, the money would find you.

Memories
There are the good and the bad moments, but there are two experiences I would never forget. I remember in 1973, I was acting on stage when some people came around to tell me that my daughter had died. There was nothing I could do, the show had to go on. And even my husband told me that I must finish what I was doing. I could not disappoint my audience, so I stayed there till we finished the production.
Also I remember when my director, Ojo Ladipo, a.k.a. Baba Mero died. A day to his burial when we were at his family house, the room I slept in, a two month old baby slept beside me. But by the next morning, the baby had died. These were trying moments for me and they are experiences I would never forget.

Advice to Yoruba movie industry practitioners
The industry is obviously improving. Technically and in terms of the story line. And I’m happy the Yoruba movie industry is gradually making a positive mark in the entertainment industry.
My only advice to youngsters in the industry is to be committed and contented in what they do.
If I was not an actress…
I remember my guardian wanted me to join the force then, she wanted me to either be a police or a customs officer. But no harm intended, I just never liked it, because my passion had always been in theatre.

Words for the fans
They’ve been supportive over the years, I wouldn’t have survived 50 years if there were no good receptions, so I appreciate everyone, including my colleagues for their support.



Source: Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment