adv

Sunday 12 May 2013

I wish to cook for President Jonathan


Nike Salau is a caterer and the sous chef in Super K Hotels, Oyo State. In this interview with BLESSING EKUM, she shares her experience in the kitchen and lets us into what makes her jollof rice stand out from others.


At what point did you realise you wanted to be a caterer?
I have always loved being in the kitchen; so, I decided to pursue it as a career. I got some formal training and for the period I have been cooking, I have enjoyed it.

Is there an aspect of catering that intrigues you most?
I enjoy baking and I have a flair for cakes.

What is the single, most common mistake people make when baking?
A lot of people forget to add gin and it is an essential ingredient especially if the cake would not be consumed immediately. The gin acts as preservative.

Is there a meal you specially treat yourself to?
That would be jollof rice served with cole slaw. I also prepare this for my family during special occasions.

Don’t you take solid meals?
Although I am from Oyo State and we are known for amala and gbegiri, I do not really enjoy it. If I have to take solid food, it is usually pounded yam and efo.

In what way do you make your jollof rice different from the common one?
The ingredients are basically the same but, the timing in adding the ingredients makes mine different.

Can you share the recipe?
The ingredients needed are rice, vegetable oil, onions, canned tomato paste, fresh tomatoes, fresh pepper, seasoning cubes, thyme, curry, salt.

Blend fresh tomatoes, onions and fresh pepper. Place pot on fire. Pour some vegetable oil and allow to heat. Add chopped onions. Allow to fry for a while. Add canned tomato paste and stir. After a few minutes, pour fresh tomato puree. Allow to cook. Add some water and after about 10 minutes, add washed rice and also seasoning cubes, curry, thyme and salt. Leave to cook. Serve with cole slaw.

Which do you prefer: local or imported rice?
I prefer imported rice for both personal cooking and catering.

Can you explain why?
When you cook with imported rice, the outcome is better. The grains stand out and don’t get mushy like local rice does.

If there was one person you would love to cater for, who would that be?
I would love to cater for the president, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan and I am confident he would enjoy the meal.

As a caterer, which food do you consider your best?
When it comes to professional cooking, I enjoy cooking all kinds of meals. There is none I would say I prefer above the other.

Have you tried any new recipe of recent?
Yes, I tried my hands on an Igbo dish, Ofe Onugbu (bitter leaf soup).

And how did it turn out?
It was tasty. My Igbo friend who tasted it commended my efforts.



No comments:

Post a Comment