adv

Tuesday 19 March 2013

People Misjudge Me By My Roles – Toyin Aimakhu


Delectable Yoruba actress cum producer Toyin Aimakhu is one of the most sought after actresses in the film industry today. Over the years, the bubbly actress has carved a niche for herself by her all-action style and poise in interpreting roles.
Although controversial in some ways as she has been linked in recent years with several failed relationships. In this chat with SAMUEL ABULUDE, Toyin Aimakhu who got married to Tinsel actor, Adeniyi Johnson speaks on her childhood, her love life and other sundry issues.

How was 2012 for you?
The previous year was a good one for me and my household; although there were little challenges in some months but by his grace I was able to overcome it. I can say authoritatively that 2012 favoured me in many ways most especially in my acting career.
Although sometimes in August last year my car (Helmet) was stolen and that got me pissed off; but am currently doing well even without a car of my own. My most joyous moment in 2012 was December 31st when the love of my life finally proposed to me and I had no choice than to say a big yes to that.

December was my most memorable moment in 2012. I am only hoping 2013 is going to be greater for me and my entire family as well as the movie industry in general. Sincerely speaking 2013, I will be touching lives.

Did you ever believe he could propose to you so soon, as it was barely few months when you met?
It does not matter if you met within two weeks but the most important thing is if the love, affection and understanding are there; then expect the unexpected. I never sensed that because  my birthday was the first time we kissed and that alone swept me off my feet and ever since I had always assumed something new was coming my way.
My joy knew no bound when he proposed to me on the ferry; I had no choice than to respond with the YES answer. We were both coming from Moji Olaiya’s movie location when the big thing happened as I want to call it.

In your own words, how well will you describe Adeniyi Johnson your fiancé?
Sincerely speaking I am presently short of words but in all, he is my happiness, joy, crown (Ade Ori) and I feel safe whenever he is around me. Usually when I am asked about him, I feel butterflies in my tummy, I love him, If I want to eat I call him; if he wants to do anything he calls me. We talk all the time. Whenever I set my eyes on him…I don’t just know.

There is the issue of Nollywood stars getting hooked-up to overseas men either from Canada or Holland; what is your view on this?
(Laughs), I am not being personal here but maybe because they like Hollandia milk and other foreign things like that; that’s the more reason you see them going for the bigger boys over there. For me, my fiancé is a Nigerian and he is born and brought up here too, so I am very much comfortable with him; and to those doing the peak and hollandian thing; it’s their choice. Remember we cannot all be the same.

How true is the notion that you act out your past experiences in your movies ?
Sincerely speaking, I am not from a rich family but thank God the rest is history now because my work has paved way for me; as regards some of the notion about my experience in the film I shoot. I believe all the roles and films I have shot depict the happenings in the society where you and I live.

My role in Alakada is an everyday thing that happens in most tertiary institutions and I am just preaching the gospel that it’s wrong to present yourself the way you are not. Like the Yoruba adage goes “Ma fi ago alagosise”.

What is the notion behind your new film Oritoke?
I love children and the special kids as well so the movie is actually a dedication to them and it has to do with Autism (a brain disease caused as a result of disorder of neural development characterised by impaired social interaction and communication and by restricted and repetitive behaviour). I am playing the role of the girl with this disease born into a rich home and my only best friend happen to be an imbecile.
However, my character has a talent, she can drum very well. She thinks like a child, she has the brain of a six-year-old although she is about 30 years. It’s fantastic movie that will be loved when it is released. I have a rich cast and it includes Muyiwa Ademola, Olaniyi Afonja (Sanyeri), Biodun Okeowo, Adeniyi Johnson, Remi Surutu, Allwell, Kanyinsola Eniola, Afeez Eniola, No network amongst others and it is directed by Mr Bayo Alawiye.

Sometime in October last year your Honda Helmet car was stolen, so what ride are you driving now?
Did I hear you say car? My dear ever since they stole my car I don’t have a replacement car presently and am not pissed by it. I have had many people call me to say they heard that my car was stolen that I should come and have another. I just have to move on and if they do not buy me car, I won’t get either because where is the money now?

Those people that stole my car should keep driving it about, I just want them to know that I don’t have a car and when they are done, they should return it but am very sure someone will call me soon to come pick up a car.

On the days when you are stressed out, what calms you?
Cooking calms me a lot. When I can’t sleep at night, I cook. I read a lot. I think that no knowledge is ever lost and reading brings a wealth of knowledge. If you constantly go there you can never lack.

What was growing up like for you?
Growing up was fun for me although I was born and brought up in a poor background; trust me it’s all in the past now. In my growing up days, we were made to sell stuffs on the road and also from my house let’s take for instance going to fetch water from a distance like Maryland to Ikeja and it was fun for me; I go to the farm to get cassava, I can actually make garri but now everything has changed ranging from I want to use blackberry Z-10 to I want to drive the latest car.

Who is Toyin Aimakhu?
Toyin is a nice, friendly and accommodating person, I am not harsh or aggressive like people say. All I do is act and interpret my role. If I am aggressive I won’t be granting this interview because I love my private life a lot. I believe in honesty and perseverance. I play a lot; I don’t lie to myself and as such I don’t go beyond my limit. I also believe in timing.


No comments:

Post a Comment