adv

Friday 22 March 2013

Even with pregnancy, a fan still wanted to marry me —Singer Opral Alade


Opral Alade is the younger sister of Olu Maintain. Named Opeyemi Adegbulu, she is gradually becoming popular in Lagos social circle. She recently spoke with ADUNOLA OLADAPO about her career, among other issues.


Does music run in the family or is it just because of the fact that your elder brother, Olu Maintain, is a household name in the music industry too?
I can say it runs in the family, because my dad too plays the guitar. When we were kids, we enjoyed music together as a family, so I guess we imbibed the love for music from childhood.

Professionally, when did you start singing?
I started singing professionally in 2006.

How did your brother, Olu Maintain, feel when you went into music?
Well, initially, he frowned on it, maybe because he felt I had no talent but just wanted to copy him. But gradually, he saw how I evolved into a real artiste and he had no choice but to concur with me.

So, what kind of support does he give?
He gave me moral and financial support at the beginning of my career and he is always there for me.

Considering the fact that you started in 2006, you should have up to five albums to your credit now?
I have only recorded two albums; it’s not as easy as people think. Mind you, I got married in 2010, so, I had to create enough time to build my home. During this period too, I had my baby; you know how difficult it is to nurse a baby from cradle to adulthood, so that’s what has happened?

So, when are you dropping your new album?
My new album entitled ‘Hippy Motion’ should drop by the middle of the year, by God’s grace.

Is there going to be an album launch?
Yes, very soon, we are going to have a press conference to unveil our plans as regards the album launch.     But everything you need to know, even about my Europe tour, would be unveiled during the press conference.

Who is that person that has made great impact in your career?
My husband and my brother; there are other fans who are too numerous to mention.

What is your brand of music?
I sing highlife music blended with other things when I am on stage performing.

What attracted you to your husband?
His love for music. Also, he is very tender, nice and God-fearing. He’s quite understanding too.

When did you get married?
December, 11, 2010.

It was rumoured that Olu Maintain intentionally missed your wedding because of his dislike for your husband?
We have always been in good terms about everything that concerns me, and missing my wedding was something he could not help because he had a show that day in Lagos but he supported me financially. So, the rumour is not true. There is a great bond between us.

How does your husband feel about your numerous admirers?
Naturally, he feels jealous, but being involved in music for 15 years has made him overlook many things, especially when a male artiste is involved.

So, how do you manage such situations?
I apply wisdom. As a young and promising lady who is even entertaining people on stage, I know such will always come up, because 80 per cent of my fans are men, so I have to treat them with respect if I want to keep them. I manage them well and still keep my home safe. I tell you, it’s been God’s wisdom all the way.

What indecent proposal have you had before?
A whole lot of that! The most indecent of them all was when a fan approached me and asked me to marry him. Even when I told him that I was five months pregnant, he said he would marry me in that condition.

Are you romantic?
Yes I am, ask my husband.

There is another rumour that Olu Maintain is broke and has lost relevance in the music industry due to his alleged arrogance and uncultured behaviour?
I don’t believe Olu is broke, because even if music is not paying at the moment, he has some other businesses that he makes money from. It’s not the first time people tell me he is arrogant, but of course he can’t be arrogant to me. I will say everyone has his or her own shortcomings. If you perfectly understand him, you will get to know that he’s such a pleasant person to be friend with. Well, I plead, on his behalf, that whoever he has wronged should forgive him; to err is human, to forgive is divine.

What advice would you give to your fans?
Women should desist from infidelity and men should drink responsibly and play safe.

Can you lead us into your background?
I was born in the early 80s in Ondo town to the family of Dr. and Mrs. Tayo Adegbulu. I have four siblings; I had my primary education in Adeyemi Primary School, Ondo. I proceeded to St Monica’s Grammar School, Ondo, then later gained admission to Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, Ondo State, where I studied English before graduating in 2004.

A graduate of English, singing on stage, how did you come into it?
I have always loved music, since childhood. I have been a member of different church choirs and school choirs. I realised music was the only thing that could make me happy, so I decided to choose it as a career. And today, the feeling is still the same, music is the only thing that I derive joy from, aside my father.

Will your album still be released by Okiki Films and Music?
Never! God forbid!

Why do you detest that?
I was signed under Okiki Films and Music in 2008 and the contract was to last for three years but I cannot say for sure why he (the owner) refused to release my work. He paid me 10 per cent of the agreed sum but didn’t give me the rest. But I have moved on, because life has to continue and I have a new album now and I’m sure it’s going to do well in the market, by God’s grace.tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment